So my front bumper fell off today, anyone got any super glue? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
Zlatty

My Ride: '13 VW GTI
Angry So my front bumper fell off today, anyone got any super glue?

Today I was coming out of the office. Jumped into my car. Hit the reverse, and heard a nice crunchy sound.

I immediately stopped the car, hit my hazards, jumped out and started going:
"awwwwwww aawwwwwwwwww .... aaaaaaaaaaw you gotta be sh!tt!ng me!"

The little parking space blocker got stuck to my bumper and when I pulled out of the parking space, it pulled my bumper off.

I took the bumper and pushed it back in. It still wiggles back and forth a little bit and the sides stick out a bit.

Can this be cured? Do I just do the southern thing and duct tape it? Is there a guide for fixing bumpers?

I was in a hurry to get to work so I did not take any pictures.
Zlatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & F56 JCW
it depends on what broke, the bumper is really just held on by a bunch of expanding rivets and two bolts, so perhaps those broke in which case you can just reattach it with new pop rivets and such, otherwise, epoxy away!
Old 02-06-2009, 03:51 PM   #3
Zlatty

When I was putting it back in I did not see any bolts. I better head over to realoem and see what I need to super glue!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
MachRc
Picture me rollin'

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
a drill and

zip ties ftw.

"Please God come and save me had to work with what ya gave me and got a _igga goin' crazy.
I can't read the signs I'm blind but a _igga know he needs his nine 'Cause times,... they ain't what they used to be...."
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:07 PM   #5
e46_323

My Ride: 323
time to get a mtech 2 or m3 style bumper

save urselfthe hassle and its a good time to change but might be a bit too much $ with paint and stuff in a state of economic crisis lol

///M3 Bumper // DEPO P46 w/ DDE Angel Eyes (6000k) // 8000k H7 HID // Depo Smoked Corners // Depo Smoked Sidemarkers // Clear Tails // Remus Powersound Exhaust w/ 2nd res delete // Koni Str.T Shocks // Hotchkis Sport Springs // RE RSMs // AEM CAI // Matte Black Grills // CF Roundals // Tints // BBS RS-GT 18x8 // DICE Silverline Pro

"The Ultimate Driving Machine ... E46 Forever"
e46_323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:15 PM   #6
Zlatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachRc View Post
a drill and

zip ties ftw.
pics ... guide ... where? how ? more details please !

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46_323 View Post
time to get a mtech 2 or m3 style bumper

save urselfthe hassle and its a good time to change but might be a bit too much $ with paint and stuff in a state of economic crisis lol

In this economy! Oy vey!

There is a guy on craigslist that lives about an hour and a half from me that has bmw bumpers ... I wonder if he can help ...
Old 02-06-2009, 04:28 PM   #7
02m3csl325

My Ride: is Stage 2 AWD!
What the hell were you doing pulling so far up anyway? The blocks arn't there to play on.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:31 PM   #8
MachRc
Picture me rollin'

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
you can screw in some wood screw right under the nose grill of the hood into the beam

i have dont have wood screws there but i got two long reinforced once..

where the ends meet there are many brackets from mudflaps and hinges on the bumper and fender you can drill and tighten with zipties..i have none but seen the best of the best with zipties...

"Please God come and save me had to work with what ya gave me and got a _igga goin' crazy.
I can't read the signs I'm blind but a _igga know he needs his nine 'Cause times,... they ain't what they used to be...."
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:33 PM   #9
Zlatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02m3csl325 View Post
What the hell were you doing pulling so far up anyway? The blocks arn't there to play on.
The parking spaces were meant for minis and yugos!

Quote:
you can screw in some wood screw right under the nose grill of the hood into the beam

i have dont have wood screws there but i got two long reinforced once..

where the ends meet there are many brackets and hinges you can drill and tighten with zipties..i have none but seen the best of the best with zipties...

thanks mate... will investigate bumper and these pics and hopefully zip something together
Old 02-06-2009, 04:59 PM   #10
Amoeba

My Ride: his: zhp hers: 325ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba
Quote:
where the ends meet there are many brackets from mudflaps and hinges on the bumper and fender you can drill and tighten with zipties..i have none but seen the best of the best with zipties...
Do you mean drill into the top horizontal section of the bumper, then zip tie it through a couple of holes through the mudflaps?

My wife's bumper is torn on both edges (where the screws are, the tab for the screws broke open). I wonder if this will fix it.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #11
02m3csl325

My Ride: is Stage 2 AWD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlatty View Post
The parking spaces were meant for minis and yugos!
Aww it's ok man, damn the Yugos. Sorry that happened, gl on the fix.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:27 PM   #12
zuckuss00

My Ride: F22 M235i JB4
Same thing happened to my friend! Facelifted E46s bumper mount a little different then the prefacelifts. They use a few clips on the sides of the bumper to keep them secure. The part of the bumper that clip into in mounts ripped off, so now there really nothing for the keep the bumper attached flush with the fender. I will probably need to put a few screws in there to fix it!

Hope thats not to difficult to understand! If a had a photo it would be much easier!
zuckuss00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:55 PM   #13
Zlatty

I took the bumper apart with my dad today. There were a bunch of missing screws and holders. We ghetto modded it today and it looks fantastic. I'll post pics soon.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #14
Amoeba

So this is how I fixed mine with the zip-tie method suggested. Worked great imo. 30 min each side and saved $800 over new bumper and paint.

My wife got this damage while pulling away from a high curb. It tore the bumper off, specifically, the plastic bumper tabs that the screw attached to has been torn open and useless. A new carrier will not fix this problem. You can see the busted "U" section under the screw:

First remove the upper mudflap or pull it back enough that the fender bottom is exposed. I drilled a hole at the right most edge of the bumper, it's plastic. Then I drilled another hole into the fender bottom, this is metal. Then you draw the zip tie trough it. Here's a look of what I'm talking about.

And viola, it tightens up nicely.

Not perfect, but 95% there for minimal effort.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #15
Zlatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
So this is how I fixed mine with the zip-tie method suggested. Worked great imo. 30 min each side and saved $800 over new bumper and paint.

My wife got this damage while pulling away from a high curb. It tore the bumper off, specifically, the plastic bumper tabs that the screw attached to has been torn open and useless. A new carrier will not fix this problem. You can see the busted "U" section under the screw:

First remove the upper mudflap or pull it back enough that the fender bottom is exposed. I drilled a hole at the right most edge of the bumper, it's plastic. Then I drilled another hole into the fender bottom, this is metal. Then you draw the zip tie trough it. Here's a look of what I'm talking about.

And viola, it tightens up nicely.

Not perfect, but 95% there for minimal effort.
The zip method is a good idea ... this is what my dad and I did ...

Old 02-10-2009, 09:36 PM   #16
Amoeba

Can you elaborate? How did the bumper attach to the slide?
Old 02-10-2009, 09:39 PM   #17
hudatder

My Ride: 2001 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlatty View Post
The zip method is a good idea ... this is what my dad and I did ...

lol
Old 02-10-2009, 09:53 PM   #18
Zlatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
Can you elaborate? How did the bumper attach to the slide?
The little plastic holder broke off on both sides so we used the metal piece as a brace to hold it in (as it would pop off with traditional super glue)

the bumper hole for that one was not broken .. the far one was ... however the ghetto mod holds the left side pretty well without nay stickingoutage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudatder View Post
lol
Old 02-10-2009, 10:26 PM   #19
roastbeef

My Ride: 325ci
if the clip cavities in the bumer are ripped off, it is a problem- invest in some super glue.
if the plastic peices that bolt to the subframe with those push pins ripped apart, its only a $24 fix- just a pain to fix. they are located underneath the blinkers, where the bumper connects to the body.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:39 PM   #20
Zlatty

Here are some more pictures:

This is how it looked before it got fixed...

Bottom of the bumper:

Bumper sides:

Fitting and Fixing:

We replaced all of the screw plastic expanders (x3) on the bottom, replaced some of the screws to the subframe(plastic round the wheel thing) x6, and did the ghetto mod.

Right now my left side sticks out a centermeter or two, so its not that big of a deal. I just hope all these screws hold in place.

Needless to say, no more yugo parking spots for me!

Last edited by Zlatty; 02-10-2009 at 10:41 PM.