Don Nguyen - Vinyl Carbon Fiber Roof - Picture Thread - Page 15 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #281
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: Euro
Send a message via AIM to Don Nguyen
I thought I had taken more pictures of this car, but three is all I have I suppose. This is a car that I did for Hyundai for last year's SEMA, just to give you an idea of how some old some of my pictures can be or take before getting uploaded. They wanted to do a real carbon roof, but did not have enough time to do it before SEMA, so having me vinyl wrap it with the 3M dinoc matte carbon fiber vinyl material was the next alternative. I wrapped both the painted and glass part that's on the Veloster.

-Don Nguyen

[email protected]
Don Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #282
TRANC3

My Ride: E46, E92
Send a message via Yahoo to TRANC3
Looks great man
TRANC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #283
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

The owner of this car had me install the 3M di-noc matte carbon fiber vinyl on the roof of their brand new white Mercedes Benz C300 sedan. As you can see from the pictures, from further away the matte carbon fiber dinoc material has a matte/flat ish look. However, as you get closer to it, that is when the weave really becomes noticeable and the light reflecting off of it gives it that 3D effect. Hopefully these pictures will help out those who were wondering what a more stock-ish car looks like with a cf roof installed.

-Don Nguyen

[email protected]

Last edited by Don Nguyen; 07-15-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #284
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

I know this isn't for most people, but the owner of this silver Nissan 350z approached me with the idea of wrapping basically the top half of his car in the 1080 3M gloss carbon fiber vinyl material. It's definitely going to be different from just getting the roof top wrapped and that's what the owner of this car wanted. I tried to take multiple pictures of the car from various angles to show how the weave and pattern looks like in different lighting/angles. I've seen this done with cars in different colors (such as black, etc), but not with carbon before. I also tinted his head lights and tail lights, but these pictures are a bit old, and it was of a darker shade that I no longer use. The owner of this car was around Orange County as well and came to me in Anaheim Hills to get the work done.

-Don Nguyen

[email protected]
Old 08-26-2013, 10:48 PM   #285
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
amazing work as always, but jeez i'm not feeling that vinyl theme at all... yeeesh
Old 09-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #286
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

This is another car that I worked on during one of my trips up to norcal/bay area to do vinyl wraps. I really like the way this car turned out. It's not often that a black car has me vinyl wrap their roof, but the owner of this black Mercedes Benz E55 AMG had me vinyl wrap his roof with the 3M di-noc matte carbon fiber finish vinyl material. The final result and effect is as you can see below. The matte/carbon finish roof really gives the car some more character in my opinion.

-Don Nguyen

[email protected]
Old 09-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #287
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Here is a car that I worked on during my norcal/bay area trip in San Jose. The owner of this car wanted to go with the 3M dinoc matte carbon fiber vinyl for his roof. As you can see, the material looks different from different angles. I tried taking it from multiple perspectives/angles to show you guys this effect. The carbon roof definitely gave this car a more aggressive look and I thought it went fairly well with the rest of the theme of the car.

-Don Nguyen

[email protected]
Old 09-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #288
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

This is one of the few new BMW F30 silver 328i sedan that I have wrapped with the 3M Di-noc matte carbon fiber finish recently. As you can see, the finish/look of the cf vinyl roof changes depending on the angle that you are looking at it and how the light reflects off of it. The matte carbon roof complimented the darker colored wheels that were on the car fairly well. The pictures don't do it much justice, since I was mainly focusing on capturing an accurate portrayal of the roof vs the finish of the wheels. The owner of this car drove out to me in Anaheim Hills/Orange County to have his roof wrapped.

-Don Nguyen

[email protected]
Old 10-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #289
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

I took a lot of pictures of this white BMW E90 335i sedan when I wrapped it. The owner of this car wanted me to wrap his roof in the 3M 1080 gloss carbon fiber vinyl material. I also did the top portion of his bumper where it meets with the splitter, to try and give it a continuous look. It was a bit overcast the day I did this car, so it's actually a bit hard to tell that the film was actually the gloss carbon finish and not the dinoc matte carbon fiber finish. The rear trunk spoiler is also real cf in addition to the front splitter, so you guys can sort of get an idea of how real cf and the carbon fiber material I am using compares up next to each other. The owner of tho car drove out to me in Anaheim Hills/Orange County to have the vinyl work done.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

[email protected]
Old 10-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #290
Patton323I

My Ride: R1100GS E46 E53
Very very cool! what would the damage be to get enough cf vinyl material to do the roof of my E46?
Old 11-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #291
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

This was one of the first cars that I did when 3M came out with the di-noc matte carbon fiber finish, which was about 4 years ago. The owner of this silver Subaru WRX STI came by to have me re-wrap his roof with the same 3M dinoc matte carbon fiber vinyl material. I took some close ups of the before to show you guys how the material looks like and holds up over time. The carbon fiber weave and all of the details are there, but it had started to lose some of its luster, which was why the owner of this car came back to have me redo the roof for him.

In the pictures with the vinyl removed, that was how the paint looked like right after removal and no or very minimal clean up was done at that point. I took pictures of the paint/roof right after the vinyl was removed to show you guys what the condition of the paint looks like that has had vinyl installed on a roof for roughly 4 years, which is probably going to be longer than most own people own their cars.

The lighting wasn't very good, since it was overcast that day, so I did my best to try and take some pictures to show you guys how the old material looks like compared to the new material. Hopefully you guys are able to see the details and differences in the up close pictures.

Before w/ old vinyl:

Old vinyl removed:

After w/ new vinyl installed:

-Don Nguyen

[email protected]
Old 11-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #292
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

I had this white Mazda MazdaSpeed3 come in to have me vinyl wrap the roof of his car in the 3M dinoc matte carbon fiber vinyl material. The owner of this car drove out to me in Anaheim Hills/Orange County to have the work done. As you can see from the pictures, the carbon fiber weave is more noticeable at certain angles and depending on how the light hits it. In some pictures it'll look like just a matte/flat black roof, while in other pictures you can really notice the carbon fiber weave/pattern, which gives it a very cool effect.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

[email protected]
Old 11-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #293
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

This is kind of a bigger picture post than usual, but I had multiple requests for more up close pictures and of certain areas that are pictured below. The owner of this white Audi RS5 had me vinyl wrap the roof and also black out the brushed aluminum/chrome window trim on his car with my gloss black vinyl material. The gloss black roof tied in quite nicely with the large sunroof of the car, to give it a full/complete panoramic roof look. Also, just blacking out the chrome around the windows also changed the look of the car quite a bit, even though the mirrors are still silver. The owner of this car drove out to me in Anaheim Hills/Orange County from Los Angeles to get the work done.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

[email protected]
Old 01-07-2014, 11:00 AM   #294
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

The owner of this car previously had me black out the chrome around his window trim and rear trunk bar as well as lightly tint the tai lights. However he decided to come back to also have me wrap the rear trunk spoiler of his car in the 3M 1080 gloss carbon fiber vinyl material as well, to match the real carbon fiber diffuser he just had put on. Hopefully this will give you guys somewhat of an idea of how the gloss carbon fiber vinyl compares to real carbon fiber parts. The owner of this car drove out to my shop in Anaheim Hills/Orange County to have the work done. Note, not all spoilers are possible or practical to wrap due to its shapes/curves, but this one happen to be an exception.

-Don Nguyen

[email protected]

Last edited by Don Nguyen; 01-07-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:16 PM   #295
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

This is another car that I did for Hyundai for the most recent SEMA event. I had also done their Veloster that they had built for SEMA the year prior as well. This year they used their SUV the Santa Fe for the SEMA event. They had me come by their facilities to vinyl wrap the top of the SUV in the 3M 1080 gloss carbon fiber vinyl material. Not often that I do the roof of a SUV or such a large car in general. Obviously for this car, the carbon roof was chosen to make it stand out and go with the more aggressively modified look/theme of the car.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

[email protected]
Old 02-05-2014, 12:28 PM   #296
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

The owner of this white Nissan 350z brought me his car to have me vinyl wrap the roof of the car in my gloss black vinyl material. In addition to the roof, I also did his two side vertical pillars with the 3M dinoc matte carbon fiber vinyl material. I believe the owner of this car was from around Long beach and drove his car out to me in Anaheim Hills/Orange county to get the work done. The gloss black, especially on the 350zs or similar smaller two seater cars, the gloss black roof connects and continues the front and rear glass fairly nicely.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

[email protected]
Old 02-21-2014, 01:08 PM   #297
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

This picture set is a lot shorter than what I normally post, but I get a lot of requests for pictures of carbon fiber wrapped front lips. The owner of this white Mercedes CLA sedan came by to have me wrap the back 1/3rd of his roof in gloss black, to complete the panoramic look of his car. In addition to the roof, he also had me wrap the front lip of his car int he 3M 1080 gloss carbon fiber vinyl material. Due to the size of his front lip, I had to do it in three different pieces/sections. I decided to make two seam lines that lined up/matched two edges of the bumper's lower grill. Unfortunately, due to how late it was when the owner of this car came, it became dark very quick and it was hard to photograph pictures of the car once it was done with the lighting that was available inside. The owner of this car drove to me in Orange county/Anaheim Hills from Los Angeles to have the work done.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

[email protected]
Old 04-01-2014, 10:54 AM   #298
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

This is a previous car that I had worked on. The owner of this white VW Golf R sedan had me vinyl wrap his roof in the 3M matte carbon fiber vinyl about a year. He came back because he wanted me to wrap his side window pillars and mirrors in the same 3M matte carbon fiber material. Note - Typically it is not practical or possible to wrap mirrors, due to their shape/curves, but it worked out in this case due to the design of the mirrors on this car. Most mirrors that you see wrapped in pictures are either done in multiple pieces or only show how it looks like right after it is wrapped, which doesn't show how it holds up over time.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

[email protected]
Old 04-14-2014, 08:32 PM   #299
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Last edited by Don Nguyen; 07-01-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:50 AM   #300
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Typically people have their roofs wrapped, but the owner of this white Honda CRZ had me vinyl wrap the hood of her car, using the 3M dinoc matte carbon fiber material. Due to the design of the material, and even carbon fiber weave in general, the material looks different from different angles as you walk around the car.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

[email protected]