Help with instrument cluster wiring, few minutes of your time. - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-23-2010, 03:10 PM   #1
reboot

My Ride: 02 330Ci
Help with instrument cluster wiring, few minutes of your time.

Hello fellow E46fanatics. Somebody broke into my car and stole the cluster from my 330Ci. There are two that plugs that goes into the cluster. One of my wiring harnesses(18-pin white) was cut. I went to the dealer and bought the plug/wiring kit to repair the one that was cut off. They couldn't help me with the print out of the pin assignments. I have been Googling and can't find anything. I even used the BMW software and couldn't find it.

So my last resort is, could one of you help me out by removing the two screws to your cluster and taking a picture of the 18-pin white plug? I need a picture behind the plug to see what color goes into which pin. There should only be 4 wires going into that plug even though its a 18-pin plug. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This has been holding back my resort project for a long time now and it would only take a few minutes of your time. Thanks again
reboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:55 AM   #2
zbi701

My Ride: E46 318i
Tell us what color of those cables are and probably I can help you identify which cable goes where. My car is not the same as yours.
zbi701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
Chris-alfonso

My Ride: 330i
if no one post it by monday. I'll take a pic when i get home since i already have the cluster out.
Chris-alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
reboot

Thanks, the wiring colors are:

Yellow/Red
Brown/Green
Blue/Red
Blue/Brown
Old 07-24-2010, 02:17 PM   #5
iansanderson

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
have you checked the WDS?

http://spaghetticoder.org/bmw/wds/

Cheat Sheet:

GT1/ISIS/MoDiC = Factory authorized diagnostic system used by BMW dealerships across the world.

NCS Expert = BMW Factory R&D programming tool available on the internet (not intended for the public and not available to the dealership network)

OEM = Genuine BMW part only available from a franchised BMW dealership.

DME = Engine Management Computer
iansanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:24 PM   #6
reboot

Yes I have and I couldn't find what I was looking for. I did this buy looking at the "A2 Instrument Cluster" which could be found by using the search on bottom left corner.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:15 PM   #7
zbi701

Quote:
Originally Posted by reboot View Post
Thanks, the wiring colors are:

Yellow/Red
Brown/Green
Blue/Red
Blue/Brown
Yellow/Red - GE/RT - Pin 13 - Turn Indicator
Brown/Green - BR/GN - Pin 4 - WindScreen Washer level
Blue/Red - BL/RT - Pin 1 - Outside temp sensor +ve
Bleu/Brown - BL/BR - Pin 2 - Outside temp sensor ground

You can confirm this with WDS - you probably didn't see the color code on the diagram when you looked last time.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
reboot

Thanks for the response, which diagram are you looking for this? The A2 cluster section has many diagrams and I would to see what you're looking. The diagrams are some what confusing as there could be the same wire color used in different pins but it depends also on size of wire?
Old 07-24-2010, 07:53 PM   #9
scottjoh
Modded ///Member

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
I have a web page for that. http://www.bmwgm5.com/E46_IKE_Connections.htm
It is not specific to any one particular body build so it contains connections that may not be present on your car. Some connections which are specific to a particular body style, engine or transmission are noted.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:13 PM   #10
reboot

Hey Scott, its Simon. I installed the GM5 unit you sent to me yesterday. Everythings working like it should again, thank you.

This is another reason why I am confused as zbi701's wiring/pin posted is different from your site. I am trying to figure out which diagram zbi701 was looking at to check if its for my body build. The dealership should have all this information for me but they couldn't help me. I should try another dealership.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:43 AM   #11
scottjoh
Modded ///Member

Hey Simon, I'm glad the door locks are working again.

Regarding the wiring. Try this. Go to the WDS. I typically use http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/r.../e46/index.htm
Then click, "Component and signal information", "Components", "A_Control units, modules", "A2 Instrument cluster control unit". Now your car is probably very similar to the 14th one down, "A2 Instrument cluster control unit (DME Motor Electronics MS54 with DSC Dynamic Stability Control MK60 up to 2002_09"
It shows 6 wires on connector X11176 for a non-convertible. 1,2 for the outside air temp sensor, 4 Washer fluid level, 13 for the BC switch on the turn signal stalk, 14 for the Gong (audio beeper) and then 7 for reversing signal which is only present on some vehicle. None of these signals are critical to the operation of the car so you can drive without them connected.
The colors codes are in german abbreviations. Use my web site to decode them as well as to decode the wire gauge equivalents.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:56 PM   #12
zbi701

Quote:
This is another reason why I am confused as zbi701's wiring/pin posted is different from your site. I am trying to figure out which diagram zbi701 was looking at to check if its for my body build. The dealership should have all this information for me but they couldn't help me. I should try another dealership.
I was looking at the exact diagram that Scott mentioned above. Just ignore the 2 wire that you don't have on your car.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:51 AM   #13
reboot

Updates:

Tried the above suggested wire colors from zbi701/Scott and noticed nothing. The cluster still shows "--:--", the windshield wiper light is still on, and the push button on the left stalk has no response. Same as if I had the harness unplugged. Any other ideas guys? Could somebody take a picture of their Pin out just to see?
Old 07-28-2010, 08:28 AM   #14
Chris-alfonso

I took this pic of the back of the connector. Hopefully it helps let me know if you need another one.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:20 PM   #15
scottjoh
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Updates:

Tried the above suggested wire colors from zbi701/Scott and noticed nothing. The cluster still shows "--:--", the windshield wiper light is still on, and the push button on the left stalk has no response. Same as if I had the harness unplugged. Any other ideas guys? Could somebody take a picture of their Pin out just to see?
The cluster shows --:-- because you need to set the clock. Use the right instrument cluster knob and twist.

I just took pictures of the X11176 (18-pin connector) on my car, 1999 4-dr auto transmission and this is what I got.
Pin 1 - Blue-Red Stripe - Outside temp sensor
Pin 2 - Blue-Brown Stripe - Outside temp sensor
Pin 4 - Brown-Green Stripe - Washer fluid level
Pin 12 - Blue-Black Stripe-Yellow rings - Drivers seat belt
Pin 13 - Yellow-Red Stripe - Turn signal stalk pushbutton

Which matches my wiring connection web page that I posted earlier. Just ignore the stuff that doesn't match your car like manual trans, convert, M43 engine, etc.

When inserting the connector housing into the bail lock assembly observe the arrow direction of the arrows on the housing. If you get that wrong pin 1 will be connected to pin 18, 2 to 17, 3 to 16 etc.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:01 PM   #16
reboot

Update:

Everything works now. Thank you all for taking the time and effort into helping me. I can finally take the car to the dealer for coding. Thanks again
Old 07-28-2010, 09:25 PM   #17
Chris-alfonso

glad you got it work out.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:35 PM   #18
jneumann

My Ride: 323i, 530i, Z4 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to jneumann
Quote:
Originally Posted by iansanderson View Post
have you checked the WDS?

http://spaghetticoder.org/bmw/wds/
Holy.

I have had my car for 7 months and have lurked on these forums for over a year, and I have never seen any reference to this site. I am not going to get any sleep for the next week while I study every diagram on here.

Someone needs to add this to a sticky.
E39 530i M-Sport/5 speed | 237k miles
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ
jneumann is offline   Reply With Quote