Locating the i-bus Wire - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 01:15 AM   #1
steve330

My Ride: '05 330cic
Locating the i-bus Wire

I have built myself a 'simple interface' unit for use with the Navcoder program and wish to connect it up to the i-bus.

A little while ago I swapped my phone cradle unit for a drink holder & coin change tray, as the phone cradle was obsolete & I like to have a drink holder in the console.

I am planning to use the old cradle plug to connect to the i-bus, but opinions seem to vary on the i-bus wire colour coding.

I have four wires, red, brown, green & white. I know the brown is -ve (ground) and the red is +ve, because I tested them with a multimeter.

Does anyone know if my plain white wire is in fact the i-bus wire?
And what does the green wire do?

I don't want to connect anything up to my car's electronics until I'm 100% sure.

Many thanks for any help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ibus.jpg
Views:	1352
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	387547  

On his deathbed:
Either that wallpaper goes, or I do.
- Oscar Wilde
steve330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:38 AM   #2
jgold47

My Ride: 2004 X5 3.0
http://spaghetticoder.org/bmw/wds/e46/

try this

my about me link
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=791566

jgold47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
zbi701

My Ride: E46 318i
i-bus or k-bus wire is white with red and yellow spots. Plain white is not.
zbi701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
mach.schnell

My Ride: 08/2000 330Cic x2
So how do you get SVG files to display??
mach.schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
mach.schnell

See if this might help too:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IBUSInsideDRAFTREV5.pdf (397.0 KB, 1838 views)
Old 12-23-2010, 08:21 PM   #6
steve330

next episode

So it looks like I'll have to go back to the console & check the wire colours in the back of the female coupling. Incidentally, the white wire I was referring to was connected to pin 13 in the 18 pin connector.

On his deathbed:
- Oscar Wilde
Old 12-23-2010, 09:52 PM   #7
scottjoh
Modded ///Member

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
That's where I pick up the I/K-bus signal for my I-Bus reader. The White, red stripe, yellow dashed wire on pin 9 of the 18 pin connector. My 18pin connector has A LOT more wires going to it that you show in your picture.

Last edited by scottjoh; 12-23-2010 at 10:15 PM.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:00 AM   #8
steve330

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoh View Post
That's where I pick up the I/K-bus signal for my I-Bus reader. The White, red stripe, yellow dashed wire on pin 9 of the 18 pin connector. My 18pin connector has A LOT more wires going to it that you show in your picture.
Mine also had a lot more going into the female side, the four in the picture come out of the male side, i.e. the phone tray.

Anyway, I parked the car outside in the sunlight with the top down (in Melbourne, Australia, it's summer, 26 degrees) and examined the wires in the console with a huge magnifying glass and none of them have the i-bus wire pattern (white with red stripe & yellow dash). I triple checked this to be 100% certain. Checking the coupling, there is no pin at position 9 in the male (phone) end, so I am going to plan B.

Plan B consists of tapping into the i-bus wire in the boot (trunk). I removed the tray below the cd-stacker, & whaddya know, I found the i-bus cable, the red & the brown bundled together.

So now I either cut the three wires & insert a connector block so I can tap in whenever I want with relative ease, or I pull out the lining of the boot around the CD changer and do it from the CD changer coupling. It looks like removing the lining around the stacker is going to be a bit of a pain.

Any opinions?

On his deathbed:
- Oscar Wilde
Old 12-24-2010, 10:43 AM   #9
mach.schnell

Trace continuity between the known Ibus wire in the boot and the white wire in the front connector.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:57 AM   #10
scottjoh
Modded ///Member

steve330 you can get the I/K-bus wire at the back of the instrument cluser, radio, light control module, steering wheel or at the GM5.
It obviously doesn't come out for the telephone at the center console so there's no sense looking there anymore.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:17 PM   #11
mach.schnell

http://www.reslers.de/IBUS/install.html

It seems that wire colors are standardized and the same across all BMWs:
IBUS: is always white/grey/yellow (white wire with grey stripe and yellow dots/bands)
Ground: is always Brown
Power (+12V): is mostly:
Battery power: red/xxx where xxx is a colored stripe, red/green is commonly used for audio system
Ignition power: violet/xxx where xxx is a colored stripe, violet/white is commonly used for audio system

All interfaces have a 4 pin connector
where you can solder on all required signals:
  • IBUS: This is the actual IBUS wire that runs throughout your car:
    1. By the headunit
    2. By the radio
    3. By the navigation module
    4. By the steering wheel module
    5. By the HIFI amp module (usually in the trunk)
    6. By the telephone (usually in the armrest)
    7. By the CD-changer (usually in the trunk)
Old 12-25-2010, 01:30 PM   #12
scottjoh
Modded ///Member

good info mach.schnell, BUT, technically the E46 does not have an I-BUS. The wire the OP is looking for is actually the K-Bus and it is not the same color as the I-Bus. The K-Bus wire is White, Red stripe with yellow spots.
Also the E46 does not have the K-Bus going to the HIFI Amp, (CD Changer, Yes, which is located near the amp, but, not to the Amp itself) and apparently on his car does not go the telephone wires under the armrest either because the picture of his 18-pin black connector does not have a K-Bus wire. I've looked at the WDS and haven't found a wiring diagram that matches his connector. Might be an Australian market difference, I don't know.

For a list of components that the K-Bus wire goes to on the "E46" (including connector and pin numbers) go to my web site. http://www.bmwgm5.com/E46_K-Bus.htm

Last edited by scottjoh; 12-25-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:01 PM   #13
mach.schnell

Well if my camera worked, I'd post a pic of the 18 pin black connector under the center console where the phone stuff ends. There is a white wire with red stripe and yellow dot. So if that's the wire - well it's there. Are we sure he's showing the right picture? Is that the connector from the mobile phone cradle? Or the wiring harness in the car?

I've noticed the whole K-bus v. I-bus nomenclature wars and technically don't care. The information I quoted isn't mine, but as you can see, is from someone who is more an expert than I. We could call it a Greyhound Bus and declare cease fire?

Yep, no ?-bus wire going into the amplifier. But for those not pre-wired for CD-changer? Or don't have one? They'd have to look for the Amp.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:03 PM   #14
scottjoh
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach.schnell View Post
Well if my camera worked, I'd post a pic of the 18 pin black connector under the center console where the phone stuff ends. There is a white wire with red stripe and yellow dot. So if that's the wire - well it's there. Are we sure he's showing the right picture? Is that the connector from the mobile phone cradle? Or the wiring harness in the car?
Quote:
I've noticed the whole K-bus v. I-bus nomenclature wars and technically don't care. The information I quoted isn't mine, but as you can see, is from someone who is more an expert than I. We could call it a Greyhound Bus and declare cease fire?
I don't think there is any kind of war going on. The fact is on the E39/E53 there is a K-bus and separately an I-Bus. Resler and several other web sites talk about installing board monitors in their E39/E53 and talk about the I-Bus. BMW decided not to have separate I-bus and K-bus on the E46. They have put all the devices which would normally be on the I-bus on to the K-bus. I only call it the K-Bus because that's what you will find on the BMW WDS system which we all have access to at http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/ and at http://spaghetticoder.org/bmw/wds/e46/

I prefer the bmw-planet version because the spaghetticoder version has a lot of problem with cross references.

My biggest reason for posting post #12 is to correct the fact that you posted the wrong wire color. It's not white/grey/yellow, but, since this is a forum for E46 owners the correct wire colors to look for are white/red/yellow.

I also found it interesting that you copied the text from your post from this web page. http://www.reslers.de/IBUS/install.html but, for some reason decided NOT to copy what I believe is the most important information that is dead smack in the middle of the text you did copy. On resler's web site he says,
KBUS: (in some cars there is no IBUS) is always white/red/yellow
(In fact, in my experience, a 3-colour wire is always a data bus)
Do not use the KBUS if you can't find an IBUS wire!!!
You have to know what you are doing when you use my interface on the KBUS!!!

Don't take my word on this. You definitely have to verify the cables you use!!!

Quote:
Yep, no ?-bus wire going into the amplifier. But for those not pre-wired for CD-changer? Or don't have one? They'd have to look for the Amp
The 2nd thing is the connection to the Amp which isn't present on the E46. I often refer to the resler web page because he has a lot of good information there, but, his information is based on the E53, X5 and he makes passing remarks that this might not apply to all by saying, "... in some cars..." I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to do the research on all Exx families and variations within the family. That would be way too much work and very confusing. I happen to know a bit about the K-Bus for some work I've been doing and am trying to share my knowledge. I'm not trying to start a war, put people down or anything like that. I just want to add information or correct misinformation that I see posted on this forum, nothing more. If you feel I have stepped on your toes or bruised your ego, I'm truely sorry.

Merry Christmas!

Last edited by scottjoh; 12-25-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:47 PM   #15
steve330

The photo I showed was of the phone cradle connector, it had only four wires in it. The other end, the harness end, has three bundles of wires connected to it, but none of them have the white/red stripe/yellow band (or anything vaguely resembling it) of the i-bus wire. I think Scottjoh is right about the Aussie version of the E46 not having the i-bus cable in the armrest - there are some other differences I've noticed as well - for example, my car doesn't have the rechargeable torch in the glove compartment either :-(.

I am now leaning heavily towards the previously mentioned i-bus wire in the boot (trunk) because it's easy to access & there's some slack in the cable for a connector block.
Merry Christmas!

On his deathbed:
- Oscar Wilde
Old 12-25-2010, 10:05 PM   #16
mach.schnell

Thanks...
Curious, can you post a good pic of the car's connectors?
Of the Black 18 pin connector (X4545), what's on pin 9?
Old 12-26-2010, 06:17 AM   #17
steve330

Will do

Sure, I'll take a photo and post it up tomorrow.
Do you have a pic of your 330?
Like to see it if you have
Cheers.

On his deathbed:
- Oscar Wilde

Last edited by steve330; 12-26-2010 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Added pic request.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:23 PM   #18
steve330

Pics of cabling

Quote:
Thanks...
Curious, can you post a good pic of the car's connectors?
Of the Black 18 pin connector (X4545), what's on pin 9?
Here is a pic of the 18 pin connector, trouble is, there is no way of seeing which pins the cables go to as they enter the housing at a right angle to the connector interface. The closest wire to the i-bus pattern is a grey wire with a red stripe, but can't tell which pin it connects to.
Also included a pic of the i-bus cable in the boot, along with the red & brown.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3005.jpg
Views:	1163
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	387887   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3007.jpg
Views:	1232
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	387888  

On his deathbed:
- Oscar Wilde

Last edited by steve330; 12-26-2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: spelling!
Old 12-26-2010, 09:27 PM   #19
zbi701

My Ride: E46 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve330 View Post
Here is a pic of the 18 pin connector, trouble is, there is no way of seeing which pins the cables go to as they enter the housing at a right angle to the connector interface.
You can actually see where the cables go if you slide the outer cover off the connector in this similar way (see picture)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Elo connector.JPG
Views:	1880
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	387892  
zbi701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:50 AM   #20
steve330

Will try tomorrow

Thanks for the info, will give that a go tomorrow